Events & activities being organized to date include:
(Click on the event for details)
- Thursday, September 8, 6-7 pm, Location: TBD
Lecture and Discussion: Landscape designer and historian Leslie Martino will present Reveries of a Landscape Designer: Donald Grant Mitchell and the Path to the New Haven Park System
- Sunday, September 11, 1-3pm, Location TBD
The New Haven Preservation Trust will host an architectural/historical walking tour of the Forest Road/Edgewoodfarmstead area around the 4 former farm structures, now all residences. Tour run by Barbara Lamb and Alan Plattus.
- Sunday, November 6, 1-3pm, Location Edgewood Park
The Donald Grant Mitchell Historic Walking Tour is a 2-mile loop through the park that will be led by Stephanie FitzGerald, Friends of Edgewood Park. Meet at DGM’s original park entrance at the corner of Stanley Street and Ella Grasso Blvd. Street parking is available on Ella Grasso Blvd. and on Edgewood Ave. Heavy rain cancels.
- Thursday, December 8: NH Bird Club. — Talk by Barbara Lamb
- Date TBD: An informal, in-person talk about DGM and his Edgewood Farm at the Yale Beinecke Library talk series
- Date TBD: Performances by A Broken Umbrella Theater
Stay tuned for more info about a staged reading and an outdoor screening of the “iMarvel” theatrical performance by Broken Umbrella Theater, and a public “interview” with Donald Grant Mitchell, himself.
(In the meantime, click this link to watch a prerecorded video of A Broken Umbrella Theater’s 2010 performance of “iMarvel” with a great intro by both Colin Caplan and Rachel Alderman.)
- Date TBD: Participatory public art/mural in Westville Village, New Haven
- Date TBD: Whitney Center, Hamden CT Talk by Barbara Lamb
- Date TBD: Walking tour in Edgewood Park by Stephanie Fitzgerald. Hosted by Friends of Edgewood Park
- Date TBD: Institute Library, New Haven CT – Talk by Barbara Lamb.
- Date TBD: CT Map Society to view original maps by Donald Grant Mitchell.
- Date & LocationTBD: Pecha Kucha presentation by Barbara Lamb
- Date TBD: Closing Panel Discussion (Jay Gitlin, Leslie Martino, Alan Plattus)
The Donald Grant Mitchell Traveling Exhibit (Dates and Times below)
Want to know more about who Donald Grant Mitchell was? A multi-board exhibit featuring information about his books, his life & education, his farm, his travels and the wonderful parks he created has been put together to help educate people about this fascinating individual who calledNew Haven home
- The Traveling Exhibition will be available during the June 11 East Rock Walking tour. Click here for more information.
Check back for future dates and locations.
- April 11- May 1: Pop-Up exhibit of featured items from the Yale Beinecke Library archives — maps, photos, letters, etc.
- Monday, April 11: A family-oriented kick-off/birthday party at the Mitchell Library
- Thursday, May 5: An online lecture by Yale History Professor Jay Gitlin at the NH Museum at 6 pm. (Link will be provided upon registration.)
- Saturday, May 14: A public walking tour of Edgewood Park at 4 pm
- Saturday, May 14: An ongoing temporary, movable exhibition including reproductions of DGM’s maps of NH, Westville, vintage photographs of parks, the farm, interiors of the homestead & early parks, to be used at the various public events & activities
- Saturday, June 11: A public walking tour of East Rock Park at 1:00 pm
The Friends of East Rock Park will host an informative talk and easy walk featuring landscape architect Channing Harris. Harris will talk about the key design features of the park plan created by Mitchell. In addition to the walk and talk, the Donald Grant Mitchell Traveling Exhibit will be on display.