Events & activities being organized to date include:
(Click on the event for details)
- Wednesday, March 29, 2023, 5:30-7:30pm, INSTITUTE LIBRARY, 847 Chapel Street, 2nd floor, New Haven
Barbara Lamb will talk about the many facets in the life of Donald Grant Mitchell: best-selling author, farmer and naturalist, scholar and teacher, lecturer, inveterate cartographer and diplomat. He is, however, most remembered for his landscape designs for the creation of East Rock and Edgewood Parks.
- Monday, April 10, 2023, 6-7:30pm, NEW HAVEN FREEE PUBLIC LIBRARY/Mitchell Branch. Join Barbara Lamb and Rona Johnston, President of the NH Preservation Trust for the closing event as Mitchell’s 101st birthday approaches and his Bicentennial Year comes to a close. Learn more about the year-long celebration and future plans to memorialize him as they talk about his long life and numerous contributions to our city.
The Donald Grant Mitchell Traveling Exhibit (Dates and Times below)
Want to know more about who Donald Grant Mitchell was? A multi-board exhibit featuring information about his books, his life & education, his farm, his travels and the wonderful parks he created has been put together to help educate people about this fascinating individual who calledNew Haven home
- The Traveling Exhibition will be available during the June 11 East Rock Walking tour. Click here for more information.
Check back for future dates and locations.
- Thursday, December 8, 2022: NH Bird Club. — Talk by Barbara Lamb
- Sunday, November 6, 2022 1-3pm, Location Edgewood Park
The Donald Grant Mitchell Historic Walking Tour is a 2-mile loop through the park that will be led by Stephanie FitzGerald, Friends of Edgewood Park. Meet at DGM’s original park entrance at the corner of Stanley Street and Ella Grasso Blvd. Street parking is available on Ella Grasso Blvd. and on Edgewood Ave. Heavy rain cancels.
- Monday, October 24, 2022: Whitney Center, Hamden CT Talk by Barbara Lamb
- CT Map Society to view original maps by Donald Grant Mitchell.
- Tuesday, October 11, 2022, 6pm, PECHA KUCHA at East Rock Brewing Company, 265 Nicoll Street, Suite 102, New Haven
- Sunday, September 11, 2022, 1-3pm
The New Haven Preservation Trust will host an architectural/historical walking tour of the Forest Road/Edgewoodfarmstead area around the 4 former farm structures, now all residences. Tour run by Barbara Lamb and Aaron Helfand.
- Thursday, September 8, 2022, 6-7 pm, New Haven Museum
Lecture and Discussion: Landscape designer and historian Leslie Martino will present Reveries of a Landscape Designer: Donald Grant Mitchell and the Path to the New Haven Park System (Click here to watch on the New Haven Museum’s YouTube Channel.)
- Saturday, June 11, 2022: A public walking tour of East Rock Park at 1:00 pm
The Friends of East Rock Park will host an informative talk and easy walk featuring landscape architect Channing Harris. Harris will talk about the key design features of the park plan created by Mitchell. In addition to the walk and talk, the Donald Grant Mitchell Traveling Exhibit will be on display.
- Saturday, May 14, 2022: A public walking tour of Edgewood Park at 4 pm
- Saturday, May 14, 2022: An ongoing temporary, movable exhibition including reproductions of DGM’s maps of NH, Westville, vintage photographs of parks, the farm, interiors of the homestead & early parks, to be used at the various public events & activities
- Thursday, May 5, 2022: An online lecture by Yale History Professor Jay Gitlin at the NH Museum at 6 pm. The Suburbs Within: Donald Grant Mitchell, Edgewood and the Greening of New Haven (Click here to watch on New Haven Museum’s YouTube Channel.)
- April 11- May 1, 2022: Pop-Up exhibit of featured items from the Yale Beinecke Library archives — maps, photos, letters, etc.
- Monday, April 11, 2022: A family-oriented kick-off/birthday party at the Mitchell Library